| Rail Budget 2012-2013
The railway ministe Dinesh Trivedi presented his first rail budget on March 14, 2012. The railway minister proposed the first hike in passenger fares in nine years and the highest ever annual
plan outlay for the railways at Rs 60,100 crore, of which Rs 50,000 crore he said, would be from market borrowing. The minister says he needs to mordernise 19000
km of rail tracks; also new tracks are needed, he says, in tribal areas
and backward regions of the country need to be connected. The bill for
this will be an estimated Rs 6,467 crore.
The minister said that 725 km of new lines will be completed in this
year and proposed 700 km of new line to be built in 2012-13. 100 stations via the public-private partnership route have been planned over
the next 5-years, he added. The minister announced the introduction of 75 new express trains and 21
new passenger trains. The introduction of Guru Parikarma train covering
Amritsar, Patna and Nanded was also announced.
Rail Budget at a glance
Passenger fares to be hiked by 2 paise per km for suburban and ordinary
second class travel; 3 paise per km for mail/ express second class; 5 paise per km for sleeper class; 10 paise per km for AC chair car/AC
3-tier and First Class; 15 paise per km for AC 2-tier and 30 paise per
km for AC 1-tier. Minimum fare and platform tickets to cost Rs 5.
* The open discharge toilets on trains to be replaced with green (bio)
*Steps to improve cleanliness and hygiene on trains and stations within
*New passenger services include escalators at major stations; alternative train accommodation for wait-listed passengers, laundry
services, AC lounges, coin/currency operated ticket vending machines.
*On board passenger displays indicating next halt station and expected
arrival time to be introduced.
*Introduction of regional cuisine; Book-a-meal scheme to provide meals
through SMS or email.
*Specially designed coaches for differently-abled persons to be provided
in each Mail/Express trains.
*Wellness programme for railway staff at work places.
*Institution of Rail Khel Ratna Award for 10 rail sports-persons every year.New trains
*75 mew Express trains to be introduced, along with 21 new passenger services, nine DEMU services and 8 MEMU
*Route of 39 trains to be extended and frequency of 23 trains to be increased.
Railways to hire more than one lakh employees in 2012-13; 80,000 persons hired last year.
*Indian Railways Stations Development Corp to be set up to re-develop stations and maintain them like airports.
*To provide rail connectivity to neighbouring countries, a new line from
Agartala to Akura in Bangladesh to be set up.
*Double-decker container trains to be introduced.
*National High Speed Rail Authority to be set-up; Pre-feasibility studies on six high speed corridors completed; study on
Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur to be taken up in 2012-13.
*A wagon factory at Sitapali, Odisha, rail coach factory at Palakkad, two additional new coach manufacturing units in Kutch (Gujarat) and
Kolar (Karnataka); component factory at Shyamnagar (West Bengal); new coaching terminal at Naihati, the birth place of Bankim Chandra
*To set up an independent Railway Safety Authority as a statutory body.
*All unmanned level crossings to be abolished in next five years; totarget zero deaths due to rail accidents.
*Two new members, one for marketing, and other for safety, to be inducted into Railway Board.
Railway Tariff Regulatory Authority to be considered.
*Freight loading of 1,025 MT targeted; 55 MT more than 2011-12; Passenger growth targeted at 5.4 per cent.
*Passenger earnings to increase to Rs 36,200 crore.
*Gross rail traffic targeted to increase by Rs 28,635 crore to Rs1,32,552 crore in 2012-13.
| List of New Express
1. Kamakhya-Lokmanya Tilak (T) AC Express (Weekly) via Katihar, Mughalsarai, Itarsi
2. Secunderabad-Shalimar AC Express (Weekly) via Vijayawada
3. Bandra (T)-Bhuj AC Express (Tri-Weekly)
4. Delhi Sarai Rohilla-Udhampur AC Express (Tri-Weekly) via Ambala,Jalandhar
5. Coimbatore-Bikaner AC Express (Weekly) via,Roha,Vasai Road,Ahmedabad,Jodhpur
6. Kakinada-Secunderabad AC Express (Tri-weekly)
7. Yesvantpur-Kochuveli AC Express ( Weekly)
8. Chennai-Bangalore AC Double-decker Express (Daily)
9. Habibganj-Indore AC Double-decker Express (Daily)
10. Howrah-New Jalpaiguri Shatabdi Express (6 days a week) via Malda Town
11. Kamakhya-Tezpur Intercity Express (Daily)
12. Tiruchchirappalli-Tirunelveli Intercity Express (Daily) via Madurai,Virudunagar
13. Jabalpur-Singrauli Intercity Express (Daily) via New Katni Jn.
14. Bidar-Secunderabad Intercity Express (6 days a week)
15. Kanpur-Allahabad Intercity Express (Daily)
16. Chhapra-Manduadih Intercity Express (Daily) via Phephna, Rasra, Mau,
17. Ranchi-Dumka Intercity Express (Daily) via Deoghar
18. Barbil-Chakradharpur Intercity Express (Daily) via Dongoaposi, Jhinkpani
19. Secunderabad-Belampalli Intercity Express(Daily) via Kazipet
20. New Jalpaiguri – New Cooch Behar Intercity Express (5 days a week)
21. Ahmedabad-Ajmer Intercity Express (Daily)
22. Dadar (T)- Tirunelveli Express (Weekly) via Roha, Coimbatore,Erode
23. Visakhapatnam-Chennai Express (Weekly)
24. Visakhapatnam-Sai Nagar Shirdi Express (Weekly) via Vijayawada,Manmad
25. Indore-Yesvantpur Express (Weekly) via Itarsi,Narkher,Amravati,Akola,Kacheguda
26. Ajmer-Haridwar Express (Tri-weekly) via Delhi
27. Amravati-Pune Express (Bi-weekly) via Akola, Purna and Latur
28. Kacheguda-Madurai Express (Weekly) via Dharmavaram,Pakala,Jolarpettai
29. Bikaner-Puri Express (Weekly) via Jaipur,Kota,Katni Murwara, Jharsuguda, Sambalpur
30. Secunderabad-Darbhanga Express (Bi-weekly) via Ballarshah, Jharsuguda, Rourkela, Ranchi, Jhajha
31. Bilaspur-Patna Express (Weekly) via Asansol, Jhajha
32. Howrah-Raxual Express (Bi-weekly) via Asansol, Jhajha, Barauni
33. Bhubaneswar-Bhawanipatna Link Express (Daily) via Vizianagaram
34. Puri-Yesvantpur Garib Rath Express (Weekly) via Visakhapatnam, Guntur
35. Sai Nagar Shirdi-Pandharpur Express (Tri-weekly) via Kurduwadi
36. Bhubaneswar-Tirupati Express (Weekly) via Visakhapatnam,Gudur
37. Visakhapatnam-Lokmanya Tilak(T) Express (Weekly) via Titlagarh,Raipur
38. Howrah-Lalkuan Express (Weekly) via Mughalsarai,Varanasi,Lucknow
39. Kolkata-Jaynagar Express (Weekly) via Asansol,Jhajha,Barauni
40. Dibrugarh-Kolkata Express (Weekly)
41. Firozpur-Sriganganagar Express (Daily) via Fazilka,Abohar
42. Jaipur-Secunderabad Express (Weekly) via Nagda, Bhopal, Narkher, Amravati, Akola
43. Okha-Jaipur Express (Weekly) via Palanpur,Ajmer
44. Adilabad-Hazur Sahib Nanded Express (Daily) via Mudkhed
45. Shalimar-Chennai Express (Weekly)
46. Mysore-Sai Nagar Shirdi Express (Weekly) via Bangalore,Dharmavaram,Bellary
47. Valsad-Jodhpur Express (Weekly) via Palanpur,Marwar
48. Porbander-Secunderabad Express (Weekly) via Viramgam,Vasai Road
49. Bandra (T)-Delhi Sarai Rohilla Express (Weekly) via Palanpur, Phulera
50. Hapa-Madgaon Express (Weekly) via Vasai Road,Roha
51. Bikaner-Bandra (T) Express (Weekly) via Jodhpur,Marwar,Ahmedabad
52. Ahmedabad-Gorakhpur Express (Weekly) via Palanpur,Jaipur,Mathura,Farrukhabad, Kanpur
53. Durg-Jagdalpur Express (Tri-Weekly) via Titlagarh
54. Mannargudi – Tirupati Express (Tri-Weekly) viaThiruvarur,Villupuram,Katpadi
55. Gandhidham-Bandra (T) Express (Weekly) via Morbi
56. Kota-Hanumangarh Express (Daily) via Jaipur,Degana,Bikaner
57. Jhansi-Mumbai Express (Weekly) via Gwalior, Maksi, Nagda
58. Secunderabad-Nagpur Express (Triweekly) via Kazipet
59. Kanpur-Amritsar Express (Weekly) via Farrukhabad, Bareilly
60. Chappra-Lucknow Express (Tri-Weekly) via Masrakh,Thawe,Padrauna
61. Karimnagar-Tirupati Express (Weekly) via Pedapalli
62. Anandvihar-Haldia Express(Weekly) via Mughalsarai, Gomoh, Purulia
63. Barrackpore-Azamgarh Express (Weekly) via Jhajha, Ballia, Mau
64. Indore-Rewa Express ( Tri-weekly) via Bina
65. Running of independent train between Jabalpur-Hazrat Nizamuddin by
delinking from 12405/12406
66. Darbhanga-Ajmer Express (Weekly) via Raxaul, Sitapur, Bareilly, Kasganj, Mathura
67. Solapur-Yesvantpur Express (Tri-weekly) via Gulbarga
68. Chennai-Puri Express (Weekly)
69. Hyderabad-Ajmer Express (Weekly)via Manmad, Itarsi, Ratlam
70. Asansol-Chennai Express (Weekly) via Purulia, Sambalpur,Vizianagaram
71. Shalimar-Bhuj Express (Weekly) via Bilaspur, Katni, Bhopal
72. Amritsar- Hazur Sahib Nanded Express (Weekly)
73. Santragachi-Ajmer Express (Weekly) via Kharagpur, Chandil, Barkakana, Katni, Kota
74. Malda Town-Surat Express ( Weekly) via Rampur Hat, Asansol, Nagpur
75. Dwarka-Somnath Express (Daily)
1. Koderma-Nawadih Passenger (6 Days)
2. Sriganganagar-Suratgarh Passenger (Daily)
3. Yerraguntla-Nosam/Nanganapalli Passenger (Daily)
4. Villupuram-Katpadi Passenger (Daily)
5. Gunupur-Palasa (Via Parlakhemundi) Passenger (Daily)
6. Ajmer-Pushkar Passenger (5 Days)
7. Kota-Jhalawar City Passenger (Daily)
8. Bareilly-Kasganj Passenger (Daily)
9. Anandnagar-Barahani Passenger (Daily)
10. Rangiya-Tezpur Passenger (Daily)
11. Mysore-Shravan Belgola (Daily)
12. Jodhpur-Bilara Passenger (Daily)
13. Villupuram-Mayiladuthurai Passenger (Daily)
14. Rohtak-Panipat Passenger (Daily)
15. Miraj-Kurudwadi Passenger (Daily)
16. Phulera-Rewari Passenger (Daily)
17. Mysore-Chamarajanagar Passenger (Daily)
18. Gorakhpur-Siwan Passenger (Daily) via Kaptanganj,Thawe
19. Running of independent Passenger trains between Rewa-Bilaspur &
Rewa-Chirmiri by delinking from 51751/51752
20. Mysore-Birur Passenger via Arsikere (Daily)
21. Jhansi-Tikamgarh Passenger via Lalitpur